Are They Doomed?????
Global warming is not a far-off threat; it is happening today, now, as you read this.
- 2010 joins the record books as one of the three hottest years ever recorded, a tie with 1998 and 2005.
- Satellite images show that the extent of Arctic summer sea ice has decreased by roughly 34% since 1979. According to a study by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the Arctic summer could be ice-free by mid-century.
- During the 20th century, sea level rose an average of 7 inches after 2,000 years of relatively little change. The 2007 International Panel on Climate Change report conservatively predicts that if current warming patterns continue, sea levels could rise 10 to 23 inches by 2100.
- In 2008, the polar bear became the first animal to be added to the Endangered Species Act list of threatened species because of global warming.
In spite of overwhelming evidence of the danger, we remain paralyzed.
- Powerful coal, oil and gas interests have put their short-term interests in front of our natural world and their own children's future;
- Ideologues have put the opportunity to score political points ahead of their commitment to serve the public good;
- Paid lobbyists – mercenaries in expensive suits – have mastered the art of paralyzing the political process for lucrative gain.
Make sure climate action does not fall victim to the political winds. Demand that President Obama reaffirm his commitment to fight global warming and provide leadership in the coming months.
For our children and their children,
Environmental Defense Action Fund