Thursday, November 03, 2011

Dona Nobis Pacem (Grant Us Peace)

My Blog Blast for Peace for this blog is a little heavy. This blog deals with what we are doing to Mother Earth and each other in our merciless search for fuel for our vehicles. I thought if we saw the true cost, we might forgo the extra trip to the supermarket, or ride a bike to school, or something . . .

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word. MLK, Jr 

If you can, watch the videos below. The lyrics are below the videos. 


Brothers in Arms by Dire Straights
Video by Platt 73

 
Brothers in Arms by Dire Straights
Video by Platt 73



These mist covered mountains
Are a home now for me
But my home is the lowlands
And always will be

Someday you'll return to
Your valleys and your farms
And you'll no longer burn to be
Brothers in arms

Through these fields of destruction
Baptisms of fire
I've witnessed your suffering
As the battle raged higher

And though they did hurt me so bad
In the fear and alarm
You did not desert me
My brothers in arms

There's so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Now the sun's gone to hell and
The moon's riding high
Let me bid you farewell
Every man has to die

But it's written in the starlight
And every line in your palm
We are fools to make war
On our brothers in arms
---
"Brothers in Arms"
written by Mark Knopfler


The lyrics talk of a soldier who is dying and realizes he will never go home again. He is thinking of his brothers in arms (fellow soldiers) who have stuck by him. His last thoughts are that all men are brothers in arms and should not fight each other. Then he dies.

War is the opposite of peace and is an ugly, demonic, soul-sucking machine.  How many generations of young men and women will we sacrifice to the guns.  When will the peace be forever?

17 comments:

Jermarmonuments said...

I found your article and shared links very beautiful and nice...
You have raise very important point here in this blog. ♥
Headstones

Julie said...

Lovely globe and the verse is just perfect. Peace!

Michelle said...

Wonderful post. I'm out of words... love it! beautiful. wow.

and... happy Blogblast day wishes to you! :-)

Susan Demeter said...

Peace my friend! :)

Ivanhoe said...

I love that old Scottish saying. Beautiful! Peace tou you today and always.

Sarge Charlie said...

may you find peace in your lifetime.

Finding Pam said...

Aweaome Peace Globe.

Peace be with you.
Pam

Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

May peace come to all, today and always

Anndi said...

Love the quotes... Peace to us all!

Travis Cody said...

Well said. Best wishes to you and yours for peace, this day and all days.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Beautiful peace globes

Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

++++++

purrs
>^,,^<
♥Abby♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥Grace♥

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am bloghopping on this day of blogging for peace. Thank you for your peace globe and for your post. I think a heavy post is ok when we are brainstorming peace. Good reminders about fuel, too. Peace to you and all around you.

Bluezy said...

I will need to put some tissue next to my computer as I do my blog crawls today. Wonderful poem and song. Peace be with you!

Mimi Lenox said...

You spoke the truth, however hard it is to watch and hear, you spoke the truth.

Sobering and beautiful post.

Elfer said...

Pace on earth and ourselves is that too much to asked?i guess it is.

ConnieFoggles said...

Very touching. Wishing you peace today and always

Annelisa said...

I think I like to start with the peaceglobe...if we live with peace in our hearts, then those around us will be blessed with that peace, and from that it will spread...

[A link to your post will be on my blog 'Peace Bloggers Unite' soon]