We have a chance to pass climate legislation this year. The longer we wait to cut our global warming pollution, the harder it will be to solve this crisis. Please take action to support a final push to victory in the House.
Please visit Environmental Defense Action Fund website and take action to let your elected representatives know where you stand. Do not stop there, take the following steps to help push the bill through the House.
- Spread the Word: We must show our strength in numbers to those who want to defeat climate change legislation. Please ask your friends to stand with us and help make climate action a top priority. You can use our tell-a-friend form on the website or you can simply email this url to your friends and family: http://action.environmentaldefense.org/campaign/cap_globalwarming_now
- Call Your Representative: Dial the Capitol Hill switchboard -- (202) 224-3121 -- and ask for your Rep's office. Tell the office staff that you are a voter back home and that you support the American Clean Energy and Security Act because it will create jobs, unleash our clean energy future, free us from foreign oil, and cut America's global warming pollution. When you're done with the Capitol Hill office, please look up your member at http://www.house.gov/ and find the phone numbers for home district offices -- let the staff back home know what you think, too.
- Facebook/Twitter It: Use your social networks to spread the word. Below are Facebook & Twitter length blurbs you can post right now:
- Facebook: The House is schedule to vote this Friday on Waxman-Markey, the most important climate bill of our lives. Take action today, and urge your Representative to vote YES! http://bit.ly/lyaXR Then, please share with your friends!
- Twitter: RT @EnvDefenseFund: House scheduled to vote on most important climate bill of our lives Friday. Tell them to vote YES - http://bit.ly/KzR9A
- It sets a declining cap on greenhouse gas emissions at 17% below 2005 levels by 2020 and 83% by 2050. These cuts are in line with what scientists say are necessary to prevent the threat of run-away global warming.
- It establishes a program to reward innovation and spur investment in clean energy technologies and new manufacturing jobs.
- It promotes clean energy by requiring that 20% of electricity comes from a combination of renewable sources, such as wind and solar, and energy efficiency by 2020.
- It provides an incentive for other countries without a cap on carbon to limit their emissions, by allowing the president to impose fees on carbon-intensive imports from nations that haven’t adopted their own greenhouse gas cap (starting in 2025).
- It is our single best chance to pass a climate bill this year and may be our only chance to solve the global warming crisis.
So, take action or whistle in the dark when the lights go out.