Saturday, November 29, 2008

Majestic Spirit of the Prairie Face Extinction


Watch the Cruel Winter Roundup of Buffalo!
Do We Allow it to Happen Again?

Winter in 2007 brought deep snows to Yellowstone, forcing hundreds of hungry bison to venture outside of the park in search of food. By the end of last winter, almost half of the last free-roaming buffalo herd was dead. Over 1,400 wild buffalo died in the largest buffalo extermination since the 1800s.

Why are the buffalo slaughtered? Fear that these majestic buffalo might, possibly, spread a disease called brucellosis to domestic cows . . .
even though there has never been a documented case of buffalo-to-cattle transmission of brucellosis in the wild.


This year, there are only 3,000 buffalo left in Yellowstone. If the current administration and the State of Montana carry out their brutal policy again this winter, the buffalo population could reach a critical level from which it will not recover.

If the slaughter of an American icon matters to you, please make a donation of whatever amount to the NRDC Action Fund. If you cannot afford anything, please pass the word along to others.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it. I remember when I was a child my grandparents took me to see them.

I guess I know what I'll be blogging for this month.

CyberCelt said...

@cathe-Thanks for visiting.