Experts say that we in the US are safe from radiation leaking out of the reactors undergoing meltdown in Japan. I take everything the government says with a grain of salt.
is to prepare before it happens.
- Identify outdoor items that should be brought inside an those which should be secured outdoors.
- Ensure that all dead, diseased or damaged branches are removed from trees. Cut all branches reaching over your house, whether healthy or diseased.
- Purchase 5/8″ plywood, have it cut to size to cover your windows and doors (see step 3). Starting from your front door and counting clockwise, number your windows. Mark each piece of plywood with number. Have some pieces cut to brace your garage door (see step 4) and cover roof vent holes (see page 6).
- Purchase nail gun, nails (for plywood) and enough duct tape for securing plastic (below).
- Purchase 2-4 mil. thick plastic sheeting. Cut plastic to cover windows and doors from the inside (see step 8). Use waterproof marker to mark each piece of plastic with number or room name. See diagram above for proper placement. Save enough plastic for securing your air conditioning unit (see step 7).
When You are Warned that Contaminants are Imminent
- Secure outdoor items identified above or move them inside.
- Remove window and door screens and store them inside.
- Secure windows and doors by closing and locking each one. Cover windows and doors from the outside with 5/8″ plywood.
- Strengthen/brace garage doors from the inside with 5/8″ plywood.
- Remove outside antennas.
- Remove roof turbines and install 5/8″ plywood over the hole. Or cover the turbine with plastic and tie down. Leave plumbing vents uncovered..
- If you think its necessary, you may want to seal your windows and doors from the inside with plastic (see picture above). This WILL NOT keep water out. It is to be used if you need to keep dust, ash or contamination out.