Monday, March 16, 2009

Frog Songs Silenced Forever?

Photograph from Amphibian Ark News

We lived next to a bayou in Houston when I was young. Summer evenings were full of the sounds of cicadas and frogs, with a light show provided by the fireflies. When the frog songs stopped in Houston, I thought it was because civilization had moved too close.

When my son was about 10 he had to have a Tree Frog that he named Mr. Froggy. Then he had to have a female frog that he named--you guessed it--Mrs. Froggy. The first time I heard Mr. Froggy sing, I realized that I had not heard frog song in a long tjme. It saddened me.

Frogs and other amphibians are a crucial part of the food chain. They consume millions of tons of insects and then become food for other animals. One of the greatest mass extinctions since the dinosaurs is taking place now and it includes frogs. Amphibians have been on this planet for more than 360 million years. Now, half of the 6,000 species are undergoing dying off.

If you also remember frog song from your youth, please view Nature Frogs: The Thin Green Line on Sunday, April 5, 2009 at 8 pm (ET) on PBS (click here to check local listings).


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are lots of frogs in my place because it is eaten by a very less number of people. So I can still hear the frog sounds like in my childhood

Anonymous said...

I live butted up against a swamp and the frogs here never shut up. At least not in spring and summer. Right around dusk they start in. It's annoying, but I'd miss it if they were to stop entirely.

Anonymous said...

who said that amphibians are not cute?

that green frog is cute :D
I have um..not amphibian, but reptile as my pets..

Anonymous said...

wow, that is a good picture taken.

CyberCelt said...

@shanavas-Cool. I like to think of frogs singing somewhere.

@pet lizards-I miss them. We have toads aplenty, but no frogs.

@sommerset-That's exactly what Mr. and Mrs. Froggy looked like. Except Mrs. was bigger than he was.

@cynrab-I took it from the Amphibian Ark News.

Carol said...

I live up in the north woods on a lake and 30 years ago there was more frog songs than there is now. Because I live on a lake and have well water, I use green cleaning products that are not so detrimental to the environment.

I have a blog on the effects of common cleaning supplies are to your health and the environment. Hope you can visit http://www.squidoo.com/cleanandgreen

CyberCelt said...

@carol sue-if you read the post referenced (Backlink : as you Like It), you would have a link to your page. Thanks for stopping by.