The study divided Greens into four groups below.
- 23% of market... early-adopters of green who are looking to make a long-term impact
- Mostly adults (35+)
- Skew female
- More educated
- Higher percent live in metropolitan areas
- Respond most to the "positively impact the environment" message
- 24% of market... trend-setters who are motivated to be green to look cool
- Younger (18-34)
- More ethnically diverse
- Respond to messages about "everybody else is doing it," newest technology, cool/hip.
- 13% of market... motivated to be green by immediate benefits such as saving money or improving health
- Skew a bit older (45+)
- More with children
- Over-index in rural areas
- 17% of market, recognize green as important but place the responsibility more on others than themselves
- Younger adults (25-34)
- More women with kids
- Respond to messages about providing a better life for their family
The other 23% of the market says they don't care about the environment, or they say they care, but they don't take any action.
Read more on Research Brief blog.